Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Dr. S. Radhakrishnan’s view on unfurling of the National Flag at Red Fort

VICE-PRESIDENT
          INDIA

        New Delhi
     August 8, 1961.                                                                                                                                                        

My dear Rajaji,
               Prime Minister spoke to me about his correspondence with you. While in ordinary circumstances he would have agreed with your suggestion that I should hoist the Flag and take the salute at the Red Fort, in the present context he feels, and I agree with him, that it is likely to be misunderstood.
               We laughed at your sentence that I would be able to climb the stairs!
               I am glad I met you though I am sorry I was not able to have a quiet chat with you.
                                                                                                                     

Yours affectionately,
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan

Shri C. Rajagopalachari,
Bazlullah Road,
Thyagarajanagar, Madras - 17.


                                                                ***



PERSONAL & CONFIDENTAL

VICE-PRESIDENT
          INDIA

         New Delhi
     August 12, 1961

                                                                                                                                                             
My dear Rajaji,
                  Thank you for your letter of the 10th.
                  You are not quite fair to the Prime Minister. He did not show me your letter. He merely quoted one or two sentences. He had to do it since your suggestion was that I should take the salute and unfurl the flag.
                 As you say, Jawaharlal Nehru is a national hero and people are eager to listen to him.
                 Rajen Babu has been the President from 26 January 1950 and all these years he had not unfurled the flag and taken the salute at the Red Fort, whatever may be the reason. If this August, when I am only discharging the functions of the President, I do so, uncharitable people, of whom we have a good number in our country, will take advantage and draw their own conclusions which will be most unfortunate.
                  I quite agree that civil servants and defence forces should be kept out of party politics. We should not do anything to involve them in party matters.
                 I trust you are getting better.
                                                                                                            Yours affectionately,
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan

                  
Shri C. Rajagopalachari,
Bazlullah Road,
Thayagarajanagar, Madras - 17.



Source: C. Rajagopalachari Papers (V Inst.), MSS Section

No comments:

Post a Comment